Are you drained from sacrificing to pay car insurance each month? You are in the same boat as the majority of other vehicle owners in Maryland.
Sad but true, most car insurance buyers have stayed with the same insurance company for over three years, and about 40% of consumers have never compared car insurance rates at all. Baltimore consumers can cut their rates by almost 55% a year, but most just don't grasp the rate savings if they switched. Due to the large number of options for buying cheaper insurance for a Chevy Sonic in Baltimore, it can be challenging to pick the most cost effective company.
It's a great practice to shop coverage around before your policy renews due to the fact that insurance prices change regularly. Just because you found the best rates on Chevy Sonic insurance in Baltimore at your last renewal a different company probably has better premium rates today. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about car insurance because we're going to show you how to use the internet to reduce your cost while increasing coverage.
Discounts can help lower rates on Chevy Sonic insurance in Baltimore
Some providers don't necessarily list every discount in a way that's easy to find, so we break down both well-publicized as well as some of the hidden ways to save on auto insurance.
- Renewal Discounts - A few insurance companies give discounts for signing up prior to your current Sonic insurance policy expiring. It could save around 10% when you buy Baltimore auto insurance online.
- Onboard Data Collection - Insureds who allow their insurance company to analyze vehicle usage through the use of a telematics system such as Allstate's Drivewise and State Farm's In-Drive system may see discounts as long as they are good drivers.
- Theft Deterrent Discount - Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices have a lower chance of being stolen and will qualify for a discount on a Baltimore auto insurance quote.
- Multi-line Discount - Select insurance companies reward you with lower auto insurance rates if you buy a life policy as well.
- E-sign Discounts - Some larger companies will give you a small discount simply for signing over the internet.
- Discount for Low Mileage - Low annual miles could qualify for lower rates due to less chance of an accident.
- Pay Early and Save - By paying your policy upfront rather than paying in monthly installments you could save 5% or more.
- Professional Organizations - Belonging to certain professional organizations may earn a discount on auto insurance.
As is typical with insurance, most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Just because it seems like it's possible to get free car insurance, auto insurance companies aren't that generous.
To locate insurers who offer auto insurance discounts in Baltimore, click this link.
The companies in the list below offer quotes in Baltimore, MD. If the list has multiple companies, we recommend you click on several of them to get the best price comparison.
How Insurers Determine Chevy Sonic Insurance Premiums
Multiple criteria are used in the calculation when you get a price on insurance. Most are fairly basic such as your driving history, but some are less apparent such as whether you are married or your financial responsibility.
- Premiums may be lower depending on your employer - Do you have a high-stress occupation? Occupations like lawyers, executives and medical professionals are shown to have the highest average rates attributed to high stress and lots of time spent at work. On the other hand, occupations like actors, students and retirees pay the least.
- Less chance of injury means lower auto insurance rates - Vehicles that have high safety ratings tend to have lower insurance rates. Safe vehicles reduce occupant injuries and fewer serious injuries translates into savings for insurance companies and cheaper rates on your policy. If your Chevy has ratings of a minimum four stars on Safercar.gov or an "acceptable" rating on iihs.org it may cost less to insure.
- Do you have enough liability coverage? - The liability section of your policy will provide protection when you are responsible for personal injury or accident damage. It provides you with a defense in court which can cost a lot. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so do not skimp.
- City dwellers may pay more - Living in less populated areas of the country has definite advantages when talking about auto insurance. Fewer drivers and short commutes means reduced accidents in addition to lower liability claims People who live in big cities have more road rage incidents and higher rates of accident claims. Higher commute times means higher likelihood of an accident.
- Tickets inflate prices - Even one ticket can increase the cost of insurance to the point where it's not affordable. Drivers who don't get tickets pay less for auto insurance than bad drivers. Drivers who have received severe citations like reckless driving or DUI might be required by their state to maintain a SR-22 with their state's licensing department in order to prevent their license from being revoked.
- Chevy Sonic insurance loss statistics - Insurers analyze past claim statistics when setting rates for each model. Vehicles that the data determines to have a trend towards higher claim severity or frequency will cost more to insure.
The table below shows the collected loss data for Chevy Sonic vehicles. For each insurance policy coverage type, the claim amount for all vehicles, as an average, equals 100. Numbers below 100 suggest losses that are better than average, while values that are above 100 point to more claims or an increased chance of larger losses than average.
Auto Insurance Loss Data for Chevrolet Sonic Models
Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Chevrolet Sonic 104 132 91 167 189 159
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
What insurance coverages do I need?
When choosing your policy for your personal vehicles, there is no cookie cutter policy. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs so your insurance should reflect that For example, these questions might point out if you may require specific advice.
- Do I have ACV or replacement cost coverage?
- Does insurance cover damages from a DUI accident?
- Should I pay a claim out-of-pocket?
- Can good grades get a discount?
- Why does it cost so much to insure a teen driver in Baltimore?
- How much liability insurance is required?
If you don't know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It's fast, free and may give you better protection.
Local Baltimore car insurance agents and auto insurance
A small number of people just prefer to sit down with an agent and that is just fine! Insurance agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help in the event of a claim. One of the best bonuses of comparing rates online is that drivers can save money and get lower rates but still work with a licensed agent. And supporting neighborhood insurance agencies is important particularly in Baltimore.
Once you complete this simple form, your insurance coverage information is immediately sent to agents in your area who will give you quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You never need to even leave your home due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to your email address. If you need to get a price quote from one company in particular, you can always go to their quote page and give them your coverage information.
If you want a local Baltimore insurance agent, it helps to know the two different types of agents and how they are slightly different. Auto insurance agencies can either be independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Both can do a good job, but it is important to understand how they are different since it may influence your selection of an agent.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agents are not required to write business for one company and that allows them to write policies with many different companies and find the cheapest rate. If you are not satisfied with one company, your policy is moved internally and you don't have to do anything.
If you need cheaper auto insurance rates, we highly recommend that you get quotes from multiple independent agents in order to compare the most rates.
Below is a list of independent agencies in Baltimore that may be able to give comparison quotes.
These agents can only provide one company's prices such as State Farm, AAA, Farmers Insurance or Allstate. Exclusive agents cannot compare rates from other companies so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agents receive a lot of sales training on sales techniques and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive agencies in Baltimore that are able to give rate quotes.
Charmaine Barnes - State Farm Insurance Agent
900 S Ellwood Ave - Baltimore, MD 21224 - (410) 675-1900 - View Map
Finding the right car insurance agent requires you to look at more than just the price. Any agent in Baltimore should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Which family members are covered?
- Are aftermarket or OEM parts used to repair vehicles?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- How are claims handled?
- Is the agent properly licensed in Maryland?
- Can you get a list of referrals?
Insuring your Chevy Sonic just makes sense
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a Chevy in Baltimore, maintaining insurance may be required for several reasons.
First, almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific limits of liability coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Maryland these limits are 30/60/15 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you bought your Chevy Sonic with a loan, it's most likely the lender will make it a condition of the loan that you have insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the lender will be forced to insure your Chevy for a lot more money and require you to fork over for the expensive policy.
Third, auto insurance protects both your car and your assets. Insurance will also pay for hospital and medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay for a defense attorney if you cause an accident and are sued. If you have damage to your Chevy as the result of the weather or an accident, your auto insurance policy will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of insuring your Sonic more than offset the price you pay, especially if you ever need it. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer is overpaying more than $700 annually so it's important to compare rates at least once a year to make sure the price is not too high.
Persistence is the key to cheap rates
In this article, we covered some good ideas how you can find cheap Chevy Sonic insurance in Baltimore. It's most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the better your comparison will be. Consumers may even find the biggest savings come from a small mutual company. They can often provide lower prices in certain areas than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
Cheap Chevy Sonic insurance in Baltimore is definitely available on the web as well as from independent agents in Baltimore, so you need to shop Baltimore auto insurance with both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance companies may not offer online quoting and these small insurance companies prefer to sell through independent agents.
When searching for low cost Baltimore auto insurance quotes, never skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many situations where someone dropped full coverage only to find out that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your focus should be to find the BEST coverage at an affordable rate while still protecting your assets.
Much more information about insurance in Maryland can be read at these links: